Contact Us

Case Evaluation

    The Best Kept Secrets to Fighting Connecticut State Trooper Arrests

    The Best Kept Secrets to Fighting Connecticut State Trooper Arrests

    If you ask any of the best Connecticut criminal lawyers and attorneys who are “in the know” about Connecticut State Trooper arrests, they will share 2 little known and quietly kept secrets about State Trooper arrests: first, State Trooper bond amounts are usually much lower than those in Greenwich, Stamford, Darien or other Fairfield County, Connecticut police departments; and second, State Trooper arrests rarely find their way onto the Internet or into Google searches of your name.

    What’s the explanation for this? It’s complicated, but I’ll wrap it up in 2 minutes…

    What Happens When I Get Arrested by Connecticut State Troopers?

    Top criminal defense lawyers and attorneys in Stamford, Greenwich, Darien and New Canaan Connecticut understand that crimes committed in a Connecticut city or town are under the arrest jurisdiction of the town or city Police Department where the crime occurred, UNLESS the crime takes place on a state roadway like I-95, the Merritt Parkway, I-84, I-91 or the Route 7 connector. Connecticut arrests like DUI / DWI, Hit-and-Run, Evading Responsibility, Engaging Police in Pursuit, Reckless Driving and other crimes on I-95, I-91 or the Merritt Parkway are enforced by the Connecticut State Troopers, who are spread throughout the State in designated regions. The headquarters for each region are called “barracks” and that’s where you are taken to be booked, fingerprinted and photographed if you are arrested by the Connecticut State Troopers.

    For example, one Connecticut State Trooper barracks in Fairfield County, Connecticut is called “Troop G” in downtown Bridgeport where State Trooper arrests from Greenwich, Stamford, Darien, Norwalk, Westport and Fairfield Connecticut are booked and processed. So if you are arrested on I-95 or the Merritt Parkway for DUI / DWI in those towns, then you are transported to Troop G headquarters where you must post bond and bail. Then, once released, you are issued a summons to report to the closest Connecticut Superior Courthouse from where you were arrested (i.e., usually Norwalk, Stamford or Bridgeport). Once released, you should immediately contact a top Stamford, Norwalk, or Bridgeport criminal law firm to prepare you for what to expect on your first day of court.

    Why Your Connecticut State Trooper Arrest Will Probably NOT Show Up in Google Searches or on the Internet

    The statistics aren’t exact but about 80% of typical State Trooper business is cleaning up car accidents on state roads and issuing speeding tickets. The other 20% of their time is comprised of arresting people on I-95, the Merritt Parkway, I-84 and I-91 for DUI / DWI, Evading Responsibility and Reckless Driving. As a result, State Troopers do not have the infrastructure and personnel to employ an “Information Officer” or “Press Officer” in each barracks. And as a result of that, State Trooper arrests are typically not released to the media or public, in stark contrast to the daily and weekly shame-motivated press releases of police departments in Stamford, Darien, Greenwich and Westport Connecticut. Thus, unless the case is extremely high profile (such as a fatality or a truck explosion that closes down I-95 for hours), you will rarely see your Connecticut State Trooper arrest report on the Internet on in a Google search. Not only do the State Troopers lack the resources, but the Fairfield County Connecticut online newspapers likewise lack the staff and resources to travel up to Bridgeport to wait hours on hand to get the week’s arrest reports. So cross your fingers that state budget cuts will keep this information malaise in place and out of the hands of Connecticut online news websites and bloggers. It’s one less headache for you if you’ve been arrested by Connecticut State Troopers for DUI / DWI and related charges.

    Why Bonds are So Low with Connecticut State Trooper Arrests

    The best Connecticut State Trooper arrest lawyers and attorneys also see very minimal bonds for State Trooper arrests, and have little explanation for it. One theory rings similar in reasoning to why we don’t see your arrest reports on the Internet: lack of staff and financial resources to keep prisoners at the barracks overnight. You see, in Connecticut, there is no weekend court, so if you are arrested anytime between Friday night through Sunday night on a high bond, then you must be kept in custody by the State Troopers until Monday morning. Then you must get transported to the appropriate courthouse which can be 30 miles away (or further). So if you’re not a flight risk and you don’t have a ridiculously lengthy criminal record, then there’s really no reason why State Troopers need to spend their time and resources on holding you (especially when Failing to Appear in Connecticut Court—First or Second Degree—is a separate crime in and of itself). So no matter what the reason why low bonds and no bonds (called “Promises to Appear” are handed out by Connecticut State Troopers, it’s nevertheless appreciated by people arrested by Connecticut State Troopers, and one other less headache to worry about after your State Trooper arrest.

    Contact a Connecticut State Trooper Criminal Arrest Lawyer Today

    The team of criminal attorneys at Mark Sherman Law has been defending clients against Connecticut State Trooper arrests—Troop G and other Troops—since 2001. State Troopers are usually overworked—especially when the highways are busiest during rush hour, holiday weekends and traffic jams. That’s when we are especially vigilant about checking State Trooper arrests, reviewing the accuracy of their police reports and making sure your constitutional rights were not violated. So if you have been arrested by Connecticut State Troopers in Stamford, Greenwich, Darien, Westport, Fairfield, or anywhere else in Connecticut, contact the Mark Sherman Law Firm right away. Check out our reviews from our former clients, and give us a call. We available 24/7 to take your call at (203) 358-4700.