Contact Us

Case Evaluation

    Can I Get Arrested for Hosting an Underage Drinking Party in Darien CT?

    Can I Get Arrested for Hosting an Underage Drinking Party in Darien CT?
    • Hosting an underage drinking party in CT is illegal, even if you take car keys.
    • Darien CT police will arrest parents and their kids for serving alcohol in their home.
    • Throwing an underage drinking party in Darien can result in felony or misdemeanor charges for homeowners under CGS 30-89a and CGS 30-86.
    • Connecticut social hosting arrests apply to parents serving alcohol on private property.
    • Darien parents can be arrested even if they aren’t home when the underage drinking occurred.
    • If you are arrested for serving alcohol or social hosting, contact a top Darien CT criminal lawyer attorney today.

    What Are the Jail Penalties for Throwing Underage Drinking Parties in Darien CT?

    If you’re arrested in Darien CT for allowing an underage drinking party in your home, you can be charged with C.G.S. § 30-89a Permitting a Minor to Illegally Possess Alcohol, a class A misdemeanor in Connecticut. This crime carries a maximum 1 year in jail, $2,000.00 fine, up to 2 years on probation, and a permanent criminal record.

    Darien Failure to Halt Possession of Alcohol by Minor Arrests Report to Stamford Court

    Anyone charged under C.G.S. § 30-89a will be arraigned in the Stamford Superior Court, at 123 Hoyt Street in Stamford. It’s important to remember that even though you have to attend court, you have the right to be represented by a top Stamford or Darien criminal lawyer attorney who can attend court with you and work to have your charges dropped and expunged as quickly as possible. Just as importantly, they will help you get your arrest reports and mug shots off the internet and off Google searches.

    How Can I Get Arrested in Darien for Social Hosting If I Didn’t Even Know There Was Underage Drinking at My House?

    Social Hosting C.G.S. § 30-89a arrests in Darien CT are holding parents accountable for underage drinking parties that occur in their home, even when the parents aren’t home.

    As the best Darien, Greenwich and Westport Connecticut criminal defense lawyers attorneys can explain, there are two scenarios where police can arrest a parent under C.G.S. § 30-89a:

    Scenario 1: If Darien Police believe a parent or guardian knowingly, recklessly or negligently permit a minor to possess alcohol in their home or on other private property. This means parents are being arrested if the police believe parents SHOULD HAVE KNOWN minors were drinking at their house.

    Scenario 2: if Darien police think the parent or guardian knew minors were drinking in their home and the parent failed to make reasonable efforts to halt possession of alcohol.

    For more on fighting Darien Social Hosting CGS 30-89a arrests, click here.

    Can I Still Get Arrested if I Don’t Let Anyone Leave the House After an Underage Drinking Party? 

    Yes. Sometimes parents mistakenly think it’s okay if they take car keys and don’t let anyone leave the house during an underage drinking party. Not a chance. It’s illegal and you can get arrested for Social Hosting, or even worse, Felony Providing Alcohol to Minors under CGS 30-86.

    Darien Connecticut parents might even find themselves in civil court following an underage drinking party, if a fight, rape or sex assault takes place in their house while alcohol is being consumed by minors.

    Contact a Darien Connecticut Permitting a Minor to Illegally Possess Alcohol Attorney to Fight Your Charges Today

    If you are arrested in Darien for misdemeanor Permitting a Minor to Possess Alcohol, contact the experienced attorneys at the Mark Sherman Law today to find out how we can help you get your charges dropped and avoid a criminal conviction. You can click here to read certified, 5-star reviews from our former Darien clients. Our attorneys are available 24/7 to discuss your case and walk you through the court process at (203) 358-4700.