Contact Us

Case Evaluation

    Completing Community Service

    Completing Community Service

    Completing court-appointed community service requires dedication and initiative. The court does not help you select an organization or set up community service for you. It is up to you to select an organization, apply as a volunteer, and complete the hours required by the court.

    Volunteer opportunities in the Stamford and Fairfield County area are always changing according to need. One of the best sources for up to date opportunities is the United Way. The United Way of Connecticut has a database of available volunteer opportunities that is categorized by interest.

    Simply visit and search by your zip code. You will see a list of types of organizations. Select one that meets your skills and interests and click the link. You will land at a page with a list of organizations with current volunteer opportunities. You must apply for each opportunity individually.

    Another resource you can use to identify an opportunity is This site is similar to the United Way site. It lists current volunteer opportunities and allows you to search according to zip code. The site offers basic information about the opportunity and contact information for the organization.

    Once you’ve identified a volunteer opportunity, contact your parole officer to discuss reporting procedures for your hours. You will want to make sure the organization is open to reporting your community service time to the courts before you begin.

    The Law Office of Mark Sherman is here to help you. For more information on court-ordered community service or answers to legal questions, please contact us. We will work with you and offer assistance in any way we can.