Contact Us
Case Evaluation

    Wilton Breach of Peace Lawyer

    If you were arrested for disturbing the peace, you should contact a criminal defense attorney for help. A Wilton breach of peace lawyer could fight to protect your rights and work toward a favorable outcome.

    What is Breach of Peace in the First Degree?

    Connecticut has two degrees of breach of peace. Under Connecticut General Statutes (C.G.S.) §53a-180aa, someone commits first-degree breach of peace when they put a fake explosive or hazardous device in a public location. In order to be convicted of this offense, the person must act with “intent to cause inconvenience, annoyance, or alarm” or recklessly cause a risk of this reaction. A Wilton lawyer could seek out evidence to show that the person accused of breaching the peace did not act either recklessly or with specific intent. First-degree breach of the peace is a Class D felony with a maximum penalty of five years in prison, a $5,000.00 fine, and three years probation.

    What is Second-Degree Breach of Peace?

    Under C.G.S. §53a-181, a court may find someone guilty of second-degree breach of the peace for:

    • Threatening to commit a crime
    • Publicly posting “offensive, indecent or abusive matter” about another person
    • Creating a hazardous or offensive condition in public without permission
    • Fighting or engaging in “tumultuous” behavior in public
    • Striking or assaulting another
    • Making obscene gestures or using abusive language in public

    Just like first-degree breach of peace, an individual must act with the requisite intent or recklessness order to be convicted. Breach of peace in the second degree is a Class B misdemeanor, with a maximum penalty of six months in jail, a $1,000.00 fine, and one year probation.

    How can a Wilton Lawyer Help Me with Charges for Disturbing the Peace?

    Although many of these circumstances may seem minor, a conviction for breach of peace can have serious consequences. A conviction is a matter of public record that could interfere with housing opportunities, job prospects, and even personal relationships.

    A Wilton breach of peace attorney can work to avoid conviction by arguing that you did not have the required intent or reckless disregard. They can even argue for alternative sentences wherever possible depending on the facts of your case.

    Consult a Wilton Breach of Peace Attorney

    By contacting a Wilton breach of peace lawyer early in the process, you allow more time for your attorney to collect evidence to defend you against the charges. Your lawyer can advocate for you during all portions of the proceedings to protect your rights and help you reach the best available outcome.

    To learn how an attorney can help in your situation, call Mark Sherman Law. Check out what our prior clients have to say about working with us here.